Tuesday 27 May 2008

Mental Interrogation with Oli Walkers of Smokescreen


Who? Oli Walkers, drummer of Smokescreen.

Myspace: www.myspace.com/smokescreenuk

How long have you been playing together? I’ve been in the band for six years at the end of September, however they were together for a year before I joined.

How did you meet? We met at school. I don’t know how but I remember talking to Sam first, probably because he was in my year and we had mutual friends. And I knew Kiddy (ex guitarist) from playing football with him before and again having mutual friends. I honestly cant’ remember how I met Tom properly (sorry Tom!) but my first memory of him was playing at a school gig and he was soloing like a motherf**ker on his knees at the front of the stage. Then he threw his pic into the crowd.

What kind of gear do you use? I use Pearl Export drums, Remo Emperor heads, Zildjian and Istanbul cymbals, Tama Iron Cobra double bass pedal and Pro Mark 2B sticks; real men’s sticks haha!

Is there an album that inspired you to join a band? Probably something like Slipknot’s self titled. I grew up on the nu-metal scene (and proud of it!) I remember seeing them on TV and thinking "holy s**t these guys are amazing!" I’d never heard anything like it. I wanted to make as much noise as these guys. Joey Jordison was a massive influence and still is to me. Then when I eventually did join Smokescreen, they introduced me to heavier stuff which they played like Pantera, Metallica, Slayer, Rage Against the Machine etc etc.

What was the last album you bought? Testament"The Formation of Damnation" (MI: good choice!). It’s a hell of a good album! I got home about six o’clock tonight, and haven’t stopped listening to it. I’m on my sixth listen through already, it’s that f**king good!! Will probably take me a while to change to something else. All these old thrash bands who are still making albums today are sounding so good, especially with the production techniques used, it makes it sound so much heavy than they did in the 80s when the whole scene came out. Exodus"Atrocity Exhibition" is next on my list!

What do you think of downloading music? I used to be dead against it and would never download anything and would give anyone a stern look if they said they downloaded an album. Recently I’ve changed my mind because that and file sharing is very useful, you’ve got to move with the times. Myspace especially has done a hell of a lot for the industry as a whole. I don’t technically download music even now, I just ‘borrow’ some files off someone, but it’s all good, it means I can check them out, give them a listen through and decide if I like them and then I will buy the album in most cases and go see them when they next tour.

Who would you say was your personal biggest influence? My mum. Overcoming cancer and always being there for me and passing on little nuggets of priceless information on life. She has worked in the industry as well in her time and has worked with some pretty amazing people and has some stories to tell. And my dad of course for always supporting me and anything I do.

If you could trade places with another musician for a day, who would it be and why? It sounds a bit cliché but probably Lars Ulrich. Just to see what it’d be like sat behind the drum kit behind a stadium full of people rocking the f**k out to some of the greatest metal songs ever written. And to see what he does with all that money!!

If you weren’t playing in a band, what do you think you’d be doing instead? Working in the industry. Music is my life and I want to be surrounded by it in anything and everything I do.

Where do you think the best metal is coming from at the moment? I reckon the Bay Area in San Francisco. I mentioned it before but Exodus and Testament have released some amazing albums lately. Machine Head as well with "The Blackening" last year, one of the best metal albums for a long time, possibly the "Master of Puppets" of our generation. However England is producing some good sounding s**t too, Speed Theory, Panic Cell… us? Haha!

If you could only eat one kind of food, would it be savoury or sweet? Sweet! Any day! I have such a sweet tooth it’s unreal. I probably wont have any teeth left in a few years.

What’s your favourite movie? City of God. Or 300. Or Blood Diamond. Or Ace Ventura: Pet Detective. Or Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. It’s too hard! Next question!

What was the last live show you went to (not including your own)? Was a local thing in Brighton called Comm:unity for my housemate’s birthday. There was this awesome ska/experimental band called Bad Science who were so so good! They really impressed me, I might actually go see them again next week.

What do you have lined up next? I was supposed to be going to see Skindred on Friday but we’re playing a showcase gig to Monster Energy drink instead in Newbury which was set up by our management, so I can’t. Skindred are one of my favourite bands and they are amazing live, please noone tell me how good they were because I’m gutted I’m missing it! Then Bruce Springsteen on Saturday in London (no hate mail please), then 36 Crazyfists, Iron Maiden, Reading Festival and Clutch through the summer.

Band wise, this show case gig on Friday, then more writing and more touring throughout the next few months to get out some new s**t. I’m looking forward to Dragun Festival in July, gonna be a day full of metal with a bunch of cool a*s bands to rock out with. Plus a burlesque act a couple of slots before us which I can’t wait for! Check out our Myspace page for links for tickets for that one. (MI: Yeah get yourselves along people!)

And finally...

Why should people check out your band? People should check us out because we’re helping flying the flag for British metal which people don’t seem to care as much about (MI: excuse me?!). And also cos we love the good times and to share some brews, so come down to one of our gigs and share one with us!

No comments: