Wednesday 18 June 2008

Interview with the new Anthrax singer Dan Nelson

Frank Bello:Rob Caggiano:Dan Nelson:Charlie Benante:Scott Ian


As some of you may know Anthrax are back!


With John Bush and the band parting ways, Joey Belladonna not wanting to carry on after the reunion tour, and the return of Rob Caggiano, only a new singer was needed to make them a force to be reckoned with again.


With all the ‘flaming’ going on between the fans on the Anthrax message board about who should be in/out or just shaking it about, it was a pretty hostile environment for them to walk into.


Step on to the rink Dan Nelson, and done it he has, with style. A self confessed fan of the band that is starting to live the dream!


Not content with just putting him to work in the studio, the band gave him a trial by fire with an opening slot for 3 nights on the current Iron Maiden tour, but before that they were kind enough to have a small warm up gig in front of a few hundred rabid Anthrax fans.


What follows is a short interview I got with the man himself.


How did you get the job with Anthrax? Thru Rob Caggiano, I contacted him on-line about starting up a project. After he heard my voice he felt I would be a good fit for Anthrax.

You have said you've always been an Anthrax fan. Did this help you to audition for them, or were you star struck at meeting them? Definitely helped knowing the songs in advance....They are so down to earth the star struck thing didn't even come into play. I was very determined to get the job.

What bands did you play with before? Quite a few....Crucibal, Discipline, Unbroken, Devilsize.

Have you always been a 'metal' singer, or are there some dark secrets in you past?
Dark secrets? Haha...I have been in both metal and rock bands. I enjoy singing in general. If it's a good song I will sing it....Not just metal.

How did it feel when you were first offered the job with such a well known band? Great.

Did you know about all the bad feeling from fans about the whole business with a new/old singer before you took the job?
Being a fan I knew all the John versus Joey battles...I hope to carve my own niche. Both those guys were great. Neil Turbin did a great job as well.

Did you have any second doubts about saying yes? Nope. Bring it on.

How did you feel when people who had never heard you before were 'flaming' you on the bands web site, just because you weren't their choice of singer? I don't let any of that stuff phase me....Love me or hate me, I am still going to sing cause I love doing it.

How much of an input will you have on the new album given that the guys were writing stuff before you joined? I have had a good amount of input on the lyrics and melodies. We have also written music from after the point of me joining. So it's not all pre-existing material.

How has it been joining the band, considering how close they all are? They have treated me like one of the family from the start.

Have they been playing jokes on you because you're the new guy? Here and there, but then again I am pretty big. I'm just kidding...Maybe.

What's been the worst thing they've done so far? Nothing too bad.

What are you looking forward to most with the band? Writing and performing great music....Both old and new.

How has your life changed since joining the band? All for the better.

What did you say when the guys told you were gonna open for Iron Maiden? Absolutely. I was pumped.

How did it feel to walk out on stage and sing with guys you've been a fan off? Incredible.

How does it feel now you've got your first couple of gigs under your belt? Feels great, I am really glad to be past that part of it. Now it's time to go to work.

Who are your influences? I have a lot. Everyone from Elvis Presley to James Hetfield.

What are you currently listening to? Arsis - We are the Nightmare. Faith No More - King for a Day

What do you do to chill out? Go to the movies, spend time with my wife. Draw.

How do you feel about downloading music? To each his own.

Lastly, you told this story on the Anthrax message board, but for all those who haven't seen it, can you tell us your Bruce Dickinson story. Haha, long story short....Bruce came backstage to congratulate me on my performance. And I missed him cause I was taking a crap. How's that for a Spinal Tap moment?


Many thanks to Clay for setting this up for me.


Thanks to Dan, for taking the time to answer my questions.


For more information check out;
www.anthrax.com/NFWS/. There’s also footage of the band performing some of there classics on there.


www.anthrax.com/nfc/index.php The new Anthrax message board. You have to register to this board, but it is free.


www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=98809
For audio of 3 new songs performed live.

Photo by: Gene Ambo

No comments: