Tuesday 19 February 2008

In Flames: Stop Beating A Dead Horse!


Something’s really started to bother me about one of the most popular metal bands today, and one of my personal favorite bands of all time, In Flames.


As you know, In Flames are set to release their new album ‘A Sense of Purpose’ in April. Just like every In Flames release since 2000’s ‘Clayman’ it’s met with constant whining, bitching and complaining from fans. This has really started to get to me. Every mention of them on any message board turns into an ‘old vs new’ argument. The band had to take down their own official message board when ‘Reroute To Remain’ came out for this very reason. Yes ‘The Jester Race’ is better than the new stuff. We get it. I even agree with you. Can we move on already?

The worst part is I’m sure 99% of these people weren’t even listening to the band in their so called ‘glory days’. Most of these people first heard of In Flames with ‘Come Clarity’, ‘Soundtrack to your Escape’ or ‘Reroute To Remain’ like I did, and then worked their way backwards. I’m sure the old fans that we’re actually around listening to them in their older days just stopped listening to them if they didn’t like the change of direction. It’s been 8 years since their last ‘true’ Melodic Death album ‘Colony’ came out. I think it’s safe to say that they’re not going to be making another one of them. So get over it! Move on! If you don’t like the newer style, don’t listen to it and stop ruining it for me and the many other fans that do. There’s thousands of other bands copying that style for you to listen to. What’s funny, is if they never changed their style, people would complain that they write the same album every year.

I’ll be anxiously awaiting their new album, and seeing them live for the 6th time this spring with Megadeth. If you didn’t know, you can check out their new song ‘The Mirror’s Truth’ on their myspace page. I’d like to hear people’s opinions of the song, good or bad, for what it is instead of comparing it to ‘The Jester Race’.

2 comments:

Miotailt Milidh said...

I have to say, I whole heartedly agree with your opinion. I only got into In Flames when Reroute came out (though the first track I heard was off Colony). I'm still trying to work my way backwards with them, but I'm more excited about the new stuff if I'm honest.

ragman_kd said...

I'm totally with you. I got into them with Come Clarity, but immediately got their back cat. I do agree that some of the old stuff is better, but I prefer the newer stuff myself.
Like most bands their music has evolved with the band.
As their personal lives and musical tastes change, they reflect that in what they produce.