Tuesday 15 April 2008

Exodus w/ Evile & Gama Bomb - Sheffield Corporation 4/12/2008

This was a show that I've been looking forward to for months - Exodus, Evile and Gama Bomb, three thrash bands in one night. The excitement was beyond belief, not only because I'd get to say hi to the Evile boys again, but also because the idea of being in the same country - let alone the same room - as Lee Altus and Gary Holt made me weak at the knees. Having spoken to all the members of Evile and Gama Bomb for awhile, gone to Starbucks with Tom Hunting and said a quick nervous hello to Gary, I made my way inside the venue and up to the front of the stage.

Gama Bomb - at this point, its a name that not many people know. Hell, I'd be entirely surprised if anymore than five people in the crowd of 500+ knew who they were. Are they any good? What sort of show are they gonna put on? Are they going to completely suck nuts? These worries were blown awya once the band hit the stage - their fast paced riffs came as no surprise, but their stage presence and cheesy humor had everyone cheering. The irish quintet played mostly material from their forthcoming debut 'Citizen Brain', songs such as Evil Voices, Hammer Slammer, Final Fight and Zombie Brew had the crowd headbanging and cheering for more with every second - Philly prowls the stage spitting Venom at the crowd, whilst Domo's shreddery and whammy antics just added to the ferocity of the band's set. However, some may argue that there was simply too much going on to really hear the riffs, or maybe the guitars were too low... I don't know, but all I can say is this - watch out for Gama Bomb, because they're gonna be big! [8]

Evile were up next, and having seen them before I knew exactly what to expect. This band never disappoints, disappoint isn't a word in their dictionary - they come out all guns blazing with the brilliant First Blood, which whips the crowd into a snarling, headbanging frenzy, followed by the scathing Thrasher. Ol Drake's lead work is on top notch, making all those sweeps and licks look completely effortless, Ben Carter's drumming is faster than Sonic the Hedgehog with his ass on fire, and Matt towers over the crowd in a manner so fierce that it makes Zakk Wylde look weedy. Following songs are the anthemic Bathe in Blood and the colossal We Who Are About To Die, and to end it all they bring out a fourteen year old teenager to play Matt's parts on Enter the Grave. And that kid shredded, believe me! The cheers the band recieved at the end of their set was absolutely deafening, and I'm sure many necks were sore after that sort of brutality!
Now, many people who know me personally have told me that if I give Evile a good review then it makes me a fanboy - well, if I gave them a bad review then I'd be lying, and lying isn't metal. At the end of Evile's set, I seriously pondered as to whether or not Exodus could follow up such a tremendous act - the Huddersfield boys are making their way to the top! [10]

By the time Evile are done, some people (namely the older ones) are getting impatient for Exodus.They didn't have to wait long though, as before you knew it the band came out in full force with Iconoclasm from their new record 'The Atrocity Exhibition...Exhibit A'. The crowd goes absolutely crazy, Rob Dukes literally looks like hes going to kill you as hes screaming the lyrics to Pirahna in your face! Gary Holt and especially Lee Altus have never played better, with every single solo and every riff crunchy, fresh and clear, and Jack Gibson's thunderous bass work is easily heard amongst the wailing leads and pounding drums - a rarity for live metal gigs nowadays. Most impressive of all was when the band played another new song, Children of a Worthless God - never in my life have I heard such an amazing singalong to a metal track in my life! I myself, standing right in front of Lee Altus, will never listen to that song in the same way again. Spectacular doesn't come close. Exodus' brutal set is mostly composed of songs from the past three albums (2004's 'Tempo of the Damned', 2005's 'Shovel Headed Kill Machine' and last year's incredible 'Exhibit A') with brilliant lead work from Holt during Blacklist and the most violent headbanging I've witnessed throughout Deathamphetemine, and those pits... the circle pits were so violent, so big, so dangerous! There was blood all over people's faces, thats what this music does to you y'know? Needless to say, I stayed the hell out of the way haha. Closing their main set with the evil Lesson in Violence, the crowd bays for more - and we got the standard encore routine of Bonded by Blood and the infamous Toxic Waltz. Singalong galorefor the much older thrashers who were in the crowd, and no better way to end such a fantastic show. [10]
Never in my life have I witnessed such an energetic, violent, heavy and more fun show in my life. Many people have hailed Machine Head as the best live band in metal - until I witnessed this show, I agreed. All three bands were absolutely brilliant, Evile and Exodus in particular completely blew the roof off the Corperation Nightclub and anyone who has doubts about these bands can instantly lay those doubts to rest. Thrash is back... but its pissed off!!

Unfortunately I didn't manage to get any interviews, although Ol Drake assured me we'll get around to it next time I see him. Quote of the day comes from Exodus drummer Tom Hunting - 'Rob Dukes is a pussy'.

That is all!

-Dave Ingram (www.myspace.com/rustedwithblood)

No comments: