Tuesday 1 April 2008

Pantera Reunion in the Works?

Talks are underway of a possible Pantera "reunion" in the near future, though details are not clear at this point, according to Blender magazine.

In a recent interview with the magazine, Vinnie Paul (currently of the heavy metal supergroup HellYeah) discusses his brother Dimebag Darrel and Pantera. The drummer said: "Well, we had a lot of both recorded and unrecorded material left over from Reinventing the Steel, you know, that didn’t make the album because of time issues. Dime really laid down some great leads on a lot of the tracks. I think we owe it to all of our loyal fans, who have supported and stood by us through the years, to have something more to really enjoy. It’s what Dime would’ve wanted."

Going into further details, Vinnie said: "I’ve already spoken to Rex (Rex Brown, bassist), and he was immediately onboard. I called Phil (Phil Anselmo, vocalist, Down, Superjoint Ritual, ex-Necropahgia) but couldn’t reach him. He hasn’t returned any of the calls so far." Vinnie also talked about the pre-"Cowboys From Hell" Pantera albums, Anselmo-era Pantera albums, Dime getting asked to join Megadeth, how Pantera got signed to Atco, Meeting Alex and Eddie Van Halen, and his own musical future.

As for who will be replacing Dime, it’s unofficially confirmed that Zakk Wylde (Black Label Society, ex-Ozzy Osbourne) will be filling in on missing parts. "I know they’re big shoes to fill, but it’s an honor for me to be given the opportunity. He (Dime) is an inspiration to all of us average guitarists all over the world. I can only dream of being as over-rated as him someday, although I’d say I’m pretty close already."

Guitar World was able to reach Phil Anselmo at his home in New Orleans, LA, where he gave the following short comment: "Yes, I’ve heard that Vinnie is planning a Pantera reunion, but I’ll tell you that I don’t want anything to do with it. I simply can’t figure out any more ways to rip off Exhorder, I’ve exhausted all their material. I’ll stick to my crappy Southern doom. Thank you." Anselmo additionally rose his fist and yelled "White power!" as he drove away in his Mini Cooper.

What do you guys think of this? I personally don't like this idea one bit. It just won't be Pantera without Dime.

Source: Blabbermouth.net

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a fake.

Not all of us fall for such jokes. Nice try, but I'm not that stupid.

HugeRockStar said...

LoL, funny gag. I laughed at the last paragraph. But just for the record, Down is better than Pantera ever was and Pantera would have been boring Nu Metal if not for Phil.

corey said...

Well that was unnecessary.

Anonymous said...

As hugerockstar has already stated, I too lol'd at the last paragraph. I like Pantera but they so blatently ripped off Exhorder that it makes me cringe.

I'd take Slaughter In the Vatican over Far Beyond Driven anyday.

Miotailt Milidh said...

Haha, yeah, it's that damn April Fool's thing eh? Was thinking of doing one myself, but didn't want to get in trouble for it!

The whole idea of Pantera reforming just wouldn't work anyway. You can't have Pantera without Dime.

ionut_stoica said...

A very fake.
Phil Anselmo won't say that, not now.
A pathetic fake "news" from "new media" i.e "internet"

Miotailt Milidh said...

Yes, it was originally posted on April Fools Day ;-)